Organization and Planning: Crucial First Steps
It takes as much energy to wish as it does to plan. – Eleanor Roosevelt
Once you discover your passion, the next step is to make it a reality.
And this is where people often get stuck.
They simply are unsure of what steps they should take next. As a result, they don’t take ANY steps. And they remain stuck, day after day, week after week, month after month, and year after year.
Does this sound like you?
Procrastination and fear are the two biggest obstacles to realizing your dreams. The answer? Get organized and start planning your strategy.
Here are five steps to start you on your journey.
1. Write down exactly what you want to accomplish IN DETAIL. Do you want to change jobs, start a business, pursue a new hobby or achieve a more satisfying life/work balance? Whatever it is, make it real by developing a concrete description.
2. Take an inventory of the resources you will need to accomplish your goals. Will you need support from your friends? A second income? More education?
3. Outline every single step you need to take to accomplish your goal. For example, if you want to pursue a master’s degree, factor in entrance exams, the application process and any prerequisites. Or if you want to start your own business, figure out every step you need to take to make that a reality – from creating your own website to hiring an accountant. And remember, taking baby steps is the most successful strategy.
4. Create a realistic timeline. If you start TODAY, will you ultimately fulfill this goal in one month, one year, five years? Provide a meticulous timeline using actual dates to determine how long it will take to accomplish each step.
5. TAKE THE FIRST STEP NOW. Whatever steps you outlined in Step 3, start the first step today.
It is also helpful to write down the fears you associate with this new journey, along with the rewards that will be realized once your passion pursuit is complete. Keep a “Lessons Log” to track the lessons learned when you inevitably stumble and fall. Always remember to keep moving forward.
My Passion Challenge 2015 is to START my book, “Finding Your Passion In Your 20s.” I know it will be 10 chapters and focus on 10 insights gathered from my students over the years. I wrote down the resources I need to start writing the book and the steps necessary to get started. I created a realistic timeline of two years to complete the project, and I plan to take the first step this week.
I plan to be fierce, fearless and my own best friend pursuing this lifelong dream to write a book.
Time to start planning YOUR dream. No excuses.
Dr. Lori Baker-Schena is the founder and chief executive officer of Baker Schena Communications, a firm dedicated to “Unleashing Your Potential Through the Power of Words.” We offer motivational speaking, leadership consulting and medical writing services. Find us at www.loribakerschena.com