Time to Wrap Up Your 2015 Unfinished Business
Much of the stress that people feel doesn’t come from having too much to do. It comes from not finishing what they started. – David Allen
With the four-day Thanksgiving holiday behind us, we are now gearing up for the home stretch as we close out 2015.
While it is tempting to get sucked into the chaos – and joy – of the season, December should also be the time to wrap up your 2015 Passion Challenge efforts and start looking ahead to 2016.
Indeed, December is a time for reflection, assessment and action. It’s time to finish what you started way back in January … or June … or even last month.
If you made a commitment to a new, more passion-filled 2015, at this point you fall into one of two categories: Mission Accomplished or Yikes, It’s Almost December!
First of all, congratulations. If you set a personal or professional goal for 2015 and accomplished it, give yourself a HUGE pat on the back. It takes courage, vision, perseverance and stamina to make dramatic life changes. And small changes should also be celebrated an acknowledged.
So what next?
· Enjoy your new path. Let go of the guilt, self-doubt and worry that often accompany success, and simply enjoy this new phase in your life. You deserve it.
· Continue to nurture it. Whether it is a new job, new relationship, new healthy lifestyle or new commitment to making the world a better place, you must continually pay attention to it so that it will flourish. Don’t take anything – or anyone -- for granted.
· See if it is time to make even more changes, however small, in your life to keep you passion-filled and happy.
Yikes, It’s Almost December
Here we are, with 2016 JUST around the corner, and your new job, relationship, body, home situation or improved personal habits are still out of reach.
· Don’t give up. Every day is a new chance to move closer to your goal.
· Remove the weeds in your life – guilt, fear, self-doubt – so the seeds you have planted have room to grow.
· Embark on a brutally honest assessment of your efforts this year. What went wrong? What could you do better?
· Recommit to a Passion Challenge 2016. Start planning now for getting unstuck next year.
Most importantly, figure out the steps you need to take NOW, in December, to finish the business at hand. If it is reaching out to old friends, do it this month. If it is updating your resume, do it this month. If it is setting new health goals, start this month. No matter what, finish up December on a high note.
Just making the effort is a victory in itself.
Dr. Lori Baker-Schena is the founder and chief executive officer of Baker Schena Communications, a firm dedicated to “Unleashing Your Potential Through the Power of Words.” We offer motivational speaking, leadership consulting and medical writing services. Find us at www.loribakerschena.com