Making Excuses Robs You of Opportunities, Happiness
He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else. – Benjamin Franklin
Every day I hear from people who want a positive change in their lives. When I offer them a life strategy, I hear one of two reactions:
1. “These are great ideas. I know they require a lot of hard work, time, effort, sacrifice, strategic risks and courage, AND I am ready for the challenge.”
2. “These are great ideas. BUT they require a lot of hard work, time, effort, sacrifice, strategic risks and courage, and I simply cannot do it because ________________ (insert excuse here).
I hear excuses all the time about why someone can’t find a new career, or a new partner, or a new living situation, or joy.
“I can’t afford it.”
“I don’t have the education.”
“I’m too afraid to try.”
“I’m afraid of rejection.”
“I don’t have the time to invest in changing (fill in the blank).”
In my classroom, I NEVER allowed whining or excuses for crappy work or late papers. I encouraged students to take responsibility for their efforts. And when I set the bar high, my students stopped making excuses and started stepping up to the plate.
I challenge you do to the same thing with your LIFE. Keep these five pointers in mind:
· Realize You Are Making Excuses – Some people have made excuses for so long, they don’t even realize they are making them. LISTEN TO YOURSELF. Are you making excuses for staying stuck?
· Stop Feeling Sorry For Yourself – You may be facing some personal challenges, but there is NO REASON not to find happiness. You are healthy, live in a country where you are free to pursue your life’s passion, you have a roof over your head, food in your stomach, and A BRAIN. What else do you need?
· Be Willing To Do The Work – Are you making excuses because you are too lazy to do the work?
· Let Go Of The Fear – Fear paralyzes. Fear inspires excuses. Let go of the fear and stop the cycle.
· Believe In Yourself – You possess all the talent, all the tools, all that is necessary to get unstuck. But if you don’t believe in yourself, none of this matters. Getting unstuck starts from within.
The bottom line is that when you make excuses, you rob yourself of opportunities … and happiness. You defeat yourself even BEFORE you step up to the plate.
Starting today, make a conscientious effort to transform your defeatist attitude into positive action. You will be amazed at the opportunities that will open up for you.
Dr. Lori Baker-Schena is the founder and chief executive officer of Baker Schena Communications, a firm dedicated to “Unleashing Your Potential Through the Power of Words.” We offer motivational speaking, leadership consulting and medical writing services. Find us at www.loribakerschena.com